Ashamed at 35: Mourning Friends After Divorce

The Journey Through Divorce and Rebuilding a Life

Divorce, once considered rare and stigmatised, has become a common reality for many. With 42 per cent of marriages ending in divorce, it's clear that nearly half of us will experience this life-changing event at some point. Each marriage is unique, and so is every divorce. In this column, individuals who have gone through the process reflect on their experiences, offering insights and advice based on their journeys.

A Heartbreaking End

I will never forget the day my marriage ended. We had tried so hard to make things work, but our arguments were becoming intense – even bordering on violent. It was evident that we had reached the end. We agreed to stay together for Christmas for the children, and we managed that, though it was filled with a heavy sadness.

On Boxing Day, I packed my bags and moved out. I was heartbroken, knowing that we were ill-suited and that our relationship could never work. I loved her and the kids deeply, but the reality was unavoidable.

When we first met, I felt I had found the love of my life. I had dated a few women before meeting her one evening at a friend’s flat. At the time, I was very naive and inexperienced. She was attractive, lively, and sociable, and our connection was passionate. We were both in our mid-twenties, driven by hormones and lust.

She had a six-year-old daughter from a previous relationship. We lived together for a year before getting married, and I believed it would be forever. The wedding was joyful, full of fun and celebration.

Marriage and buying a house brought a new level of seriousness into our lives. It was the first time either of us had owned property, and the financial pressures were significant. I was a journalist on the trade press, while she worked in sales and earned more than me. Money became a major issue, leading to frequent arguments.

The situation escalated when she became pregnant two years into our marriage. Although the pregnancy was planned, it was around this time that our differences in ideas and values became apparent. We began to see that we were fundamentally incompatible. She is very emotional, while I am laid-back and not expressive with my feelings – something I now understand as a defense mechanism.

Despite everything, I wanted the marriage to work. I was raised to believe that respectable people don't get divorced, especially if there are children involved. This belief added to the shame and stigma surrounding the decision. We tried marriage guidance counseling, but after five years, it became clear that we had to split, no matter how painful it was.

The Pain of Saying Goodbye

The most painful part was saying goodbye to my son, whom I loved more than anything. We agreed he should live with his mother, but I would live nearby and see him regularly. He was only three, and I felt like I was abandoning him. However, I knew that staying would only worsen the situation and negatively affect the children, who were already picking up on the sadness in our home.

I gave my wife the house so my son would have a stable place to live. But it was my only asset, and it cost me deeply. All our mutual friends disappeared or took her side because, as the one who left the house, it was assumed it was my fault. It was an awful time, but I made sure to see my son once or twice a week, despite the pain of seeing my ex every time. We managed to remain civil, though we don’t have much contact these days.

Rebuilding a New Life

I remember opening the letter confirming the divorce and realizing I was free, but also that I had lost touch with who I was. I was 35, and it took many years to rebuild my life, confidence, and self-esteem. Therapy helped, and I started working as a carpenter. Helping people make their homes look better gave me a sense of purpose.

I had always been fascinated by sailing, so I tried sailing in a dinghy and later discovered yachting, which completely changed my perspective and helped me find happiness again. It was also about finding my true path in life – writing. I had always wanted to write but lacked the courage. After the divorce, I had an idea for a book, wrote it, found a publisher, and then wrote three more.

I was tired of conflict in relationships, so I created a list of qualities I hoped for in a relationship, including someone who wanted to go sailing with me and share adventures. Shortly after, I met someone new and invited her to go sailing – and the rest is history. I remarried nine years ago, and she is a psychotherapist. We’ve had amazing sailing adventures, and my son now lives in Japan, but we maintain a strong relationship.

A New Beginning

I wish I had known that it was possible to be happy again after such a painful and heartbreaking experience. My divorce was not the end of the world; it was the beginning of a new chapter. I am now happier than I have ever been.

LihatTutupKomentar